Thursday, November 14, 2013

Tatting Joy


When I first learned how to tat, I was overjoyed. Tatting is such an old craft, and so few people know how to do it anymore. I love how simple the craft is, yet it looks so extravagant and delicate. Moreover, tatting takes so little space! Two shuttles and two small balls of thread can fit in a coin purse!

In the beginning, I was certain that crocheting would continue to be my primary crafting form. For three years, I only tatted at meetings and conferences, and I only made crosses. The same cross pattern, over and over and over again. I made different color combinations but always the same cross.

Now, I am overflowing with crosses. I have more than I need, yet I still want to tat at conferences. What to do? Explore new patterns, of course! A simple search on Pinterest opened my eyes to all of the possibilities. Sure, modern people don’t need hankies or pillowcases edged in tatting. And who uses doilies anymore? What I found was jewelry!
Flowers

This is the jewelry set that I auctioned off at the Harvest Feast. I adapted one pattern into a bracelet, earrings, and a necklace. I would love to make more like this! If you would like me to make you jewelry, let me know. Send me an email (revjuliemonnard@gmail.com). I don’t want to start an Etsy account yet because I can’t commit that sort of time to tatting.

I have tried a bunch of different patterns, and the ones below are my favorites. Each of the samples given below can be made in two different colors of thread and two different colors of beads. Each of them can be a bracelet, necklace, or earrings.

Vine

Opposites Attract

Fourfold


Circles

Flowers



No comments:

Post a Comment